View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
I struggle with this because I do not want to step on anyones toes so I wanted to get an opinion from anyone who has one. When I'm the R on a game (HS varsity) I like to send out the standard email/text/phone call (whichever seems appropriate) 24-48 hours before a game to be sure everyones on the same page with time, location, level, etc. However, at what point should the U1 or U2 step up if nothing has been recieved from the R. Maybe I'm over thinking the process, I just don't like to start out on the wrong foot with an unknown R if they're going to feel I'm doing their job.
CVBOA? Mid-South? Tri-Cities?

I hate when an 'R' won't communicate before the game. I once had a D3 game where the R wouldn't return any of my emails. So on the morning of the game I sent a text. His response was "it's on arbiter, isn't it?".

I once had a long-distance college game between non-conference foes. Our supervisor has a policy of the R contacting the school to verify the game and then contacting the crew. Turns out the game was double-booked and the officials were supposed to come from the visiting team's supervisor. If my R hadn't of done his minimum requirements, there would have been 3 extra officials at the game who travelled a long distance for no reason.

Schools and supervisors sometimes make mistakes. If we sit around assuming everytime is automatically correct, we are setting ourselves up for failure.