View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 08:45am
Stirrer of the Pot

I recall the old McGriff days in the late 80s or early 90s. It was when I first started umpiring in my son's local Little League Baseball league. To date, I haven't seen any internet sports officials' forum that was as bad as that. There were more personal insults and obscentities posted than there were actual rule discussions.

What happens here (at least on the baseball and softball forums; I can't speak for the other sports since I don't visit them) are orders of magnitude less severe. Yeah, there's the occasional retort from some of the old-timers that deserve to be ignored. But for the most part, this place is tame.

In the thread you mentioned, there was some sniping back and forth by a couple of folks. But they did stay on the subject of the issues with the play and subsequent ruling. If this place was like McGriffs, they would have talked about each other's abilities, mothers, manhood, etc. I honestly didn't think it was worthy enough of being stricken by the moderators, in my opinion.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker