View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok here we go, more fuel . If the act is intentional, but there is no possession, which I agree with after I read your post, Mike. Then we do have illegal batting. I don't have my books with me, but isn't batting defined as intentionally striking the ball (paraphrased). Since the offense can't "bat" the ball forward, and it can't be a pass because of the possession issue, if it is intentional, it almost has to be batting by NHFS doesn't it?? Again, just more fuel, and probably picking nits, which I think we all like to do subconsiously or otherwise LOL

Batting is defined as .. "intentionally slapping or striking the ball with the hand or arm". Did the player strike or slap the ball? If so, we have an illegal bat. If he secured the ball and then threw it forward before landing, it can't be a foul for batting (if we want to pick nits).

This fits the description of a muff. "A muff is the touching ... of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession." And muffing the ball isn't illegal.