View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
To me, this is a classic example of a test giving you a 'red herring' , to see if you can find what they are actually looking for. I do not care what happens after this OBS, that runner gets home. Period. Next question.

When you try to over complicate these tests - that is when you get yourself in trouble.

Linkd: How long have you been working, and how long does it take you to do the ASA test? And how often to do you really have to look something up in the book? I am asking because for our high school test here in New York, we have to take it as a group, and it is CLOSED BOOK. It is also partially written by the inestimable Jay Miner, who is the NYS Clinician/Rules Interpreter, so that should give you an idea of how good it is. Now also understand, in our little group, one of our members is not only a clinician at our State School, but she is also ASA UIC for New York. Our group clinician is a former clinician at the State School - they both freely admit they usually miss a couple of questions on that test, so understand that a friend of mine and myself will get that test, and get it done - 100 questions, including checking - in about 30-35 minutes. And both get scores in the 97-99 range. And there are veterans who take FOREVER to get it done.

My point is this: You SHOULD be able to these tests relatively quick - if you can't get it right on the test quickly, how are you going to be able to react on the field? On the field, if you have any experience at all, you know how to eliminate the non essential stuff - the same goes for these tests. Even though the actual writing on these is sometimes...well...you can tell they were written by umpires

How is the NFHS test? Open/closed book?