View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes1977
The thought of an incomplete pass came to our minds too, but since the initial pass was backwards and there was no catch or possession by A2, isn't this simply a continuation of the backwards pass, and treated as a fumble?
It isn't a forward pass so it isn't dead. If I'd read the original post again I would have realized that. My mistake.

You are correct that this is a "fumble" by rule because an airborn player has not possessed the ball until he lands (paraphrased).

Quote:
Believe me I understand this doesn't fall under the definition of batting, which I think could be reworded to include this type of play. Is this just a loophole in the rules? What would keep a team from throwing the ball to the sideline in this manner to gain yardage repeatedly?
I don't think this is a loophole. A team would need to be very gifted to successfully execute this play a number of times during a single game. The passer would need to be very accurate each time this play was run. The receiver would need to have a natural gift for leaping and timing and would need some natural strength to throw the ball forward for any distance without being in contact with the ground. It seems that there is more of a chance for a misplay than an advantage gained by the offense. Other than the difficult nature of running this play successfully, nothing prevents a team from running it during a game.

Quote:
I'm to the point now where I don't really care what the answer is, I would just like to be able to see it for myself! [/B]
A very similar play happened in a college game and the offcials ruled it illegal in that game. (Except is was a forward pass thrown forward by an airborn receiver). Later the NCAA came out with an alternate ruling stating that this type of play is legal. I don't recall or know if the NFHS followed suit on this.

[Edited by mikesears on Jun 17th, 2003 at 10:43 AM]