View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Question 16 of the ASA 2014 test:
With two outs and R1 on 3B, B4 get a base hit. R1 should score easily but is knocked down by F5. B4 tries to stretch a single into a double and is tagged out before reaching 2B for the 3rd out. Does the run count?

I’m think’n there isn’t enough information. Was obstruction called and DDB signaled?
To answer any test question, you have to assume the umpires acted the way they were supposed to... on this question that would mean they did A) SEE, and B) RULE obstruction. If you start asking yourself, "Did the umpire see the action in the question", no question will be valid.

Quote:
Did runner get up and go home?
Completely irrelevant (and this being one of my pet peeves regarding many umpires' misunderstanding of this rule, it scares me that you are asking this.

Quote:
Did runner stay on ground?
Again, irrelevant (same)

Quote:
My ruling if I had to use the knowledge instantly on the field, and my logic cuz I can’t find anything: Run scores cuz defense can’t benefit by knocking down a runner and getting an out somewhere else, no matter the timing, to prevent the run from scoring. It would have been, my judgment, the run scored before the out was made at second.....or, after play is over tell'm rrun would have scored had they not been obstructed and it would have scored before the out at 2nd.
Am I completely wrong here? If my logic’s wrong, where?
Thanks………..
No need for any of that logic, or adding stuff to the rules like "can't benefit by knocking down..." What does the obstruction rule say to do?

West Houston Mike