View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm away from my books, boesn't the case play specifically state something like: "A1 cannot wear shorts for religious reasons. May she wear tights? Ruling: No. Tights under the shorts are specifically prohibited. She can wear long pants, though."

So, I'm a little confused by those who would allow it and then write the state.
You're correct...

Quote:
NFHS Case Book 3.5.7

A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warm-ups or a skirt instead of shorts?

RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights "below the uniform shorts" would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (Rule 3, Section 4)
I'm basing my decision on things that have cropped up in the past the few times I've worked in NJ. There are some things the state has strayed from when it comes to religion. For NYC/NYS GV I don't have to worry about it because they use NCAAW rules.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)