View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I am a second year Ump, working both LL and Fed (High School Freshman/JV) games. I worked a U-9 Travel tournament a week back, with three other umps from the Local LL.

On day one of the Tournament, it became evident that one of the kids from an "away" team had a big stick and was definitely a threat at the plate.

When I arrived on Day 2, the two umpires working the other crew were discussing with the "local" team manager how they thought he should pitch to this kid to avoid giving up any big hits.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this sort of thing in your umpiring experience. Because of the training I received from the State Association, and what I consider the integrity of the official, I would never discuss with any manager specific observations of another team or its players.

I have considered bringing this up with the league UIC, but I am pretty sure he would not see it as a concern. I have already decided to skip this tournament next year, if for no other reason than 6 games in 110 F weather makes for one looooong weekend!

Thanks,
Jim