View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 12:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
A jump ball is called, arrow points to team A, the referee hands the ball to A1 who cannot find an open teammate to pass the ball to so he calls a timeout. My thinking is that this ends the alternating possession throw-in, that has started, and the possession arrow should be switched as soon as the timeout is granted.

Am I correct or should the arrow be switched after the timeout and the ball is inbounded?
You are not correct. And it makes me wonder, where did you get the notion that the AP throw-in ends with a time-out.

Under that logic, I would wonder if you would force a team to take a designated spot throw-in after a made basket, if they called a time-out after the ball was at their disposal.

This is why I'm a rule book guy. I always go to the rule book first, then if I don't understand the rule or the case play, I'll ask for guidance from other officials. There are just way too many officials out that there who pass along bad information for me to ever just blindly trust what others say without looking it up myself.

Just yesterday I had a very good friend of mine try to tell me you don't get 2 shots on a made basket/intentional foul combination. At least he pulled out the book to look it up during our discussion. I lot of officials don't even bother doing that.