View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm now worried to ask this ...

But are you implying that in FED it IS kick catch interference to touch a free kick in flight if there's no catch to be interfered with? (I'm quite worried you're going to say yes... my next question is "Why in the world would the make such a rule?!?!?")
Perhaps because they offer different conclusions. Until fairly recently, CATCHING either a Free Kick or Scrimmage Kick by K constituted KCI, until it was changed for a Scrimmage Kick exception being allowed to give K the opportunity to "Down" a scrimmage kick, before the ball hit the ground (which was a previous requirement). When K (legally) "catches" a scrimmage kick, it is considered 1st touching, and R retains the right to take possession of the ball at that spot.

On Free Kicks, the rules are different, if K gains possession of a Free Kick, they get to maintain possession, provided (as long stated by existing rule) the kick travels beyond the FKZ (10 yards) AND has touched the ground. (those requirements can be satisfied in either order).

If, after both requirements have been satisfied, and K RECOVERS a free kick, they retain possession of the ball, from the spot of recovery.