View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I meant dropped 2nd strike...

ASA 8-7P allows a batter to run on the D3K even if already out. How about on a dropped strike 2? Runner is not retired, so 8-7P doesn't apply.

Situation: 12U game. One fairly good team. One "1st year" team and all that implies. 2nd inning. Good team up to bat. R1 on 1st. 2 outs. Count is 2-1. Batter swings at a low pitch, which hits the dirt. 1st base coach yells, "RUN, RUN". I yell "THAT'S STRIKE TWO." Meanwhile, R1 advances to 2nd. Confused catcher throws to 1st. I put the batter back at the plate, but leave the runner on 2nd. (This play is not my question - just a setup - although comments welcome.)

4th inning, same game. Same batter up to bat. R1 on 3rd. R2 on 2nd. 2 outs. Count is 1-1. Same thing - low pitch, swing, ball in dirt, coach yells "RUN, RUN". Batter runs. I yell "THAT'S STRIKE TWO." Ball overthrown to 1st. Lots of coaches & fans yelling "instructions" to runners and to totally confused defense. After trying one more time to call the batter back, I give up and let the play continue. After several overthrows, batter ends up on 3rd and R1 and R2 have both crossed home. I declare DEAD BALL, batter out for interference, declare the dead ball took effect as soon as the coach yelled "RUN", and pulled the two scores off the book. Inning over, except for a lecture to the coach along these lines, "Coach, that is the second time you've done that this game. You are responsible for knowing the count and properly instructing your runners. That is interference, the batter is out and no runs score."

What do you think?