Thread: Backcourt?
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Let it Bounce...

Unless I'm missing something here, I going to agree with the original post, violation. Yes the ball was tipped by B, bounced in the frontcourt, was in the air over the backcourt (4-4-3) but has not yet touched the floor in the backcourt to gain backcourt status, therefore ball has frontcourt status when A3 catches the ball while touching the backcourt (4-35-1) causing the ball to now have backcourt status. therefore last to touch in frontcourt A-3, first to touch in backcourt A-3, violation.

4-4 ART. 3 . . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court. (in this case ball has frontcourt status)

4-4 ART. 4 . . . A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual’s location. (in this case backcourt when A-3 touches ball)

4-35 ART. 1 . . . The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where the player is touching the floor as far as being:
a. Inbounds or out of bounds.
b. In the frontcourt or backcourt. (in this case A-3 has backcourt status)
c. Outside (behind/beyond) or inside the three-point field-goal line.

The last to touch and first to touch happens at the same time.

Had A3 allowed ball to bounce in the backcourt giving the ball backcourt status, then there would be no violation.

I've been told to look at it as if the player were standing out of bounds. If A-3 was out of bounds and B-1 deflected a pass in flight which then hit A-3 who was standing out of bounds, you would award the ball to B, by saying A-3 was the last to touch the ball inbounds and the one that caused it to go out of bounds. So in the backcourt violation question, A-3 was the one that caused the ball to go into the backcourt and was the first to touch the ball in the backcourt.