View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I've never had anything close to this scenario, and likely never will either, but I don't think we're responding to something that actually happened, we're responding to a hypothetical (which is like half of the posts in this forum). But the fact that it is a rivalry game and things are heated IS RELEVANT!!! If its any other T in any other game, then your radar isn't up, and a kid standing there seems odd, but whatever. But if you know that there is or might be some bad blood, are you telling me you're not going to pay attention to it more?? You may not act any differently, but you're certainly going to be more tuned in.

So in that situation, I can't see a situation where I don't at least try to get him to move, if for no other reason to put everyone else in that gym at ease.

"The Only Thing Necessary For the Triumph of Evil, Is For Good Men To Do Nothing." -Edmund Burke Haha, I'm kidding, that's a little extreme!
I have been in enough rivalry situations in my career. Nothing is necessarily special about those situations as opposed to many non-conference games between top teams. All rivalry games are not made the same either. I think you are making more out of the rivalry part of this discussion. It does not mean that most of us would completely ignore the situation. But nothing in the rules disallows the player to stand there. And if that bothers the shooter, than what are they going to do in an normal FT situation where the rules for anyone on the lane are the same? Are we in those situations going to get all excited over a player standing behind the FT shooter, properly behind the 3 point line? Now if they are saying something, that is different. And like stated when they do they are quickly on a road to a technical foul. But until that happens, I am not going to over-officiate the situation just to prevent something because of where someone can legally stand. You are not talking to a bunch of rookies about this situation.

Peace