View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the previous postings.

1. Am I not right that the PU should of still taken the APPEAL since a play had not take place??
My thoughts on this are just semantics, but remember that it is still your call, you are just asking for input from your partner. Quietly, "Hey partner, did you see a pullled foot?" It is just a yes or no question and then you make the call. If your partner says that he is not going to answer your questions because he feels it has been too long or for whatever reason, you just have to make the call with the informatation you do have.

2. Should I have explain more to the coach after the PU refused to listen to the APPEAL??
After the initial discussion with the plate umpire, I would have just told the coach, "He got the same thing." That's the phrasing I always use because it is short, simple, and directly to the point, a.k.a. I want to talk to coaches as little as possible.

3. Am I not wrong when I thought the PU should of just kept quiet after the inning and not discussed the matter further with the coach unless at least requested??
PU should have kept quiet, even if requested. "Coach, that was my partner's call. If you've got questions about it, go talk to him." My biggest soap box is umpires that don't do this. I have been in similar situations and told the coach, "Coach, that was my call. There's no need to talk to him about it."

Being that in your circumstance the PU approached the coach, I think I would have walked over to where the umpire and coach were and said to my partner, "If a wrong call made a player enter the dugout, she has not abandoned her base running duties. You're wrong on what your saying and you sold this coach out." I would have then immediately turned and gone back to my position, fully expecting a snide remark from my partner or at least discussion of the situation after the game.

Your partner was trying to show you up and look like the big dog. You have a choice of either rolling over and being the little dog or standing up for your knowledge. Does it make for a confrontational and tense moment? Yes. Is respectful confrontation a bad thing? I don't think so.

Of course as with all the postings on this board, these "here's what you should have done" comments are being made from an easychair at home (or work) and not in the heat of battle.