View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

http://ohsaa.org/medicine/Concussion...eb2013_PPE.pdf

Isn't that the reasoning behind all the concussion recognition training??

Aren't all these adults supposed to be trained to see such things??

Isn't that the gist of this legislation??

Thank you for all that you do and have been doing to provide education to your coaching staff, parents and students
regarding the prevention, recognition and management of concussions and head injuries. For the last two years, the
OHSAA has been at the forefront of the rules writing and education process to respond to this critical health issue
that can have a devastating impact on our student-athletes. We will continue that mission to protect our students and
all those who work in the interscholastic athletics arena.

Interpretations
Concussions
The last two (2) years the NFHS has been clear in its emphasis on concussion management. The NFHS Rules Power Points have all highlighted this, and the SUGGESTED GUIDELINES FOR MANAGEMENT OF CONCUSSION is included as an appendix in all rule books. There is a new North Carolina state law that mandates how athletes are to be treated by appropriate athletic training and licensed medical personnel. I am giving you this information as a re-emphasis on the seriousness regarding concussions and our responsibilities as officials. Coaches are also being reminded regarding the guidelines of return-to-play procedures they must follow before allowing the athlete to return to the contest.

As an official, if you observe or sense an athlete may be compromised, you are to guide/indicate (to) the athlete and the head coach to remove the athlete from the contest for them to “take a look” at the athlete. At that time, your responsibility for the athlete is complete. You are not a trained medical person who is responsible for diagnosing concussions. But, we do want you to be aware of the symptoms which may indicate an athlete has sustained a concussion (defined as a traumatic brain injury that interferes with normal brain function). The symptoms as listed by the NFHS Rules are as follows:

Headache
Fogginess
Difficultly concentrating
Easily confused
Slowed thought process
Difficulty with memory
Nausea
Lack of energy, tiredness
Dizziness, poor balance
Blurred vision
Sensitive to light and sounds
Mood changes—irritable, anxious, or tearful
Appears dazed or stunned
Confused about assignment
Forgets plays
Unsure of game, score or opponent
Moves clumsily
Answers questions slowly
Loses consciousness
Shows behavior or personality changes

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 02:41pm.