View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
As an interloper to the board from another forum, I generally enjoy this debate but it doesn't seem as if anyone is engaging JAR's point. Up until now, as I understood the blarge case play, making conflicting signals was considered "calling" each violation on the play and was the point of no return. Are you now saying that making conflicting signals is considered "ruling" each violation on the play? This seems a little specious simply because as you said above ruling comes before signaling.

In other words, here's how I saw the double whistle before working properly based on what I learned here:
You blow your whistle because you've ruled a charge and I blow mine because I've ruled a block. We both put our hands in the air and make eye contact and I defer to you based on coverage. You call a charge and I don't call anything.

But that's obviously not how you would word it?
I think the only practical way to handle it is to base it on the signal. I have no idea why they changed to word from one that has some amount of ambiguity to another that has just as much ambiguity. It doesn't clarify anything. If they had changed the word to signals or indicated, it would have been good, but as it is, there hasn't been an improvement in the wording unless they now define "rule".