View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Let me start off by saying that I have truly enjoyed this post. Not all the back and forth, but rather everyone's situation. It has been one of the best posts I have ever read because everyone's situation and motivation are different.

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough go of it. Every official unfortunately goes through it because there are bad people out there in the world. It is super unfortunate, I wish no one would have to go through it.

What's interesting is all the "why" we do it. Some just love basketball, some like providing a fair contest, some like the workout, some like the $$$ (who doesn't though), and some like a hobby. I pretty much like to do it for all those reasons. At a middle school game last night with about 100 people in the gym. One of the middle schoolers (a fan) yelled, "Hey (visiting team).....YOU SUCK!" As a teacher by trade, this was not acceptable. I calmly walked over and told that section of quality people that if they would like to finish watching the game, then they better not say another negative word. Before I could even finish my pep talk, the principal, who is a great guy, was sitting right in the middle of them. Needless to say, most of them thought it wasn't very fun anymore and left. Sportsmanship is my number one priority, probably to a fault. Last night the visiting team kid was getting into it with the home team. I grabbed his jersey by the shoulder (not hard or anything), walked him over to coach and said, "I think you need a sub coach." Coach replied, "Couldn't agree more." He later said he appreciated that vs. the technical foul, ie preventive officiating.

OK, off my soap box. I wish you well. I hope you officiate again if you want to. I had a game from hell last year and almost hung it up, but am glad I didn't. I also have a 3 and 6 year old. They hug my legs when I go to work a game, but teaching does not pay the greatest (2k take home per month, btw that blows people's minds) and it helps with the holidays and such. I think I will scale it back when they start playing youth and middle school. I think I will attend every HS game, but pick up any varsity contest not on those nights to keep my game sharp.

Again, great post with great ideas,

pfan