View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Me too, but for different reasons

I am sitting out this year as well, and I can relate. Four events last year drove me to it:

1) A school published the wrong time for a game and called at the last moment to tell me I had to be there an hour early. I left a critical work meeting early, got a speeding ticket on the way (which blew my seasons earnings), and had a crappy game.

2) A soccer official was killed here in Utah. I have never felt threatened, but the resulting media attention made me realize how much people hate us.

3) I reffed a sophomore coach I have known for years with a referee in literally his third game. My partner sucked and I had to T my long time friend for complaining about it too much.

4) Health problems (rotator cuff and double hernia) made me a step slower and I realized I was not doing as good a job as I had been doing.

Bottom line is, it was time to walk away for a year or two. It is better for me and better for the kids. My local association president never questions or judges when a ref hangs it up. He knows it is likely better for the game as well. Congrats to fiasco for realizing where he is. It is much better than continuing to ref when you don't enjoy it. Hopefully he (and I) will come back.