Thread: Head Gear
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Had a game this week that involved a player wearing a "helmet'. It was a soft helmet made of the slow recovery type foam referenced for braces. Our first look at it was when the player entered the game. He did not have it on during warm-ups and we were surprised when he came onto the court. It was this team's first game of the season.

We had a mini-conference and checked it to see what it was made of. One of my partners suggested that a Dr's statement was required for him to be allowed to play. I talked him out of that even though I wasn't sure if it was required and am still not sure. We allowed him to wear it and play.

Several articles of equipment and apparel can only be worn for a medical reason. But I do not believe any of the items listed in 3-5 require documentation other than a head covering as covered in the 'exception'. After a little studying, I think the head covering requires approval from the state association and a Dr's statement would not meet the requirement.

Now I am wondering if I should do some follow up with that team's coach. We allowed it and it is likely (and correct) that another crew will not allow it without proper documentation.

I post this to bring it up so others aren't surprised if they see it. I expect it will be more common with the attention being given to concussions. And I am curious about the forum's opinion on whether I should contact the coach to give my understanding of the rule and to make sure I have the correct understanding of the rules for head coverings.
We had this go around a couple of years ago. The administrators here deemed them illegal. Thanks for sharing

-Josh