View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Man, screw that dude. Although I would love to hear what coulud have gone SO wrong that he would need to react in that manner.
I let the coach walk all over me and my partner during the game. I took full responsibility for that, and called my partner after the game to let him know I was sorry for hanging him out to dry in a couple of situations.

It was an incredibly heated, physical game and I just let the coach say and do way too much. The problem I had was that my assignor spent an hour on the phone with the coach after the game, another hour watching tape, and zero time talking to me about it before he sent me an email saying how crappy of a job I did.

Side note, the transition between JV and varsity was very interesting to me. It always frustrated me that, in Idaho, coaches got quite a significant say in which officials would go to state. That wasn't the case in JV for assigning post-season games.

So, all of a sudden, you move up to varsity and it's just a fact that you have to start worrying about what the coaches think of you, if you want to compete for post-season games. It's a crappy situation to put officials in, because it changed the way I started approaching technical fouls.

That was compounded by the fact that I never really new if I was doing it (interacting with coaches) the way my assignor wanted me to, because he didn't communicate with me or evaluate me, or send anyone to evaluate me. I would just ask other, seasoned varsity officials about situations, and whether they thought I handled things correctly. I made adjustments, but I know interacting with coaches was by far my biggest weakness.