View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Interesting. Most instructors I know recommend setting up higher since the greater distance between your eyes and the ball will cause you to view the pitch as being lower.
I was thinking of the NCAA Central Hub article by Smokey suggesting we need to get CLOSER to the target area to accurately call pitches. The closer we are to the pitch, the more accurately we can call it.

Setting up further away to make it seem to be low isn't a correction I would support, compared to getting to where you can SEE that the pitch is low. Setting at the top of the zone has been a solid mechanic throughout the evolution of various plate stances and mechanics. Frankly, the whole concept of worrying about your head being above the catcher's is truly pointless if you are properly in the slot; the catcher's head can only affect your vision of the ball if you are "hiding" behind her. You raise up (or otherwise adjust) if she is blocking your view; otherwise, the most consistent and accurate zone is to get your eyes set at the top of the zone with your eyes focused on the inside corner.