View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So I am 5'8" tall and am 163 pounds. My target weight is 155. One of my buddies who is an excellent official and he deserves it, got moved up to varsity this year as a fourth year official. I am also a fourth year official but I know one One reason he got moved up is because he is tall, like 6'2" or maybe even a bit taller.
If any of you have any suggestions on how to be "bigger on the floor" thanks.
I would venture to say that there is more that distinguishes the two of you than just height. I am 5'8" and it has not held me back. Many of my mentors have also been on the shorter end, and one of them received the most votes for the state tournament ever received last year...he was 5'7"...I loved towering over him! You know what they say, those that can't play, officiate (ok I changed the words but it gets the point across)

First thing I would say is get some video of yourself and really look hard at your mechanics. Do you "sell" calls when needed? I'm not saying to be flamboyant by any means but sell where appropriate. Also another feedback that I get at most camps...and this is weird to me...is that I "run well" and run like an official...weird but evaluators have liked that about me. Do you stand confidently? I know this all sounds petty and what the hell does it have to do with you calling a game but these things will help you look like an official and that is half the battle in any sport.

It does take some time to see these things and it can be hard to be critical of yourself but trust a guy that has never been gifted athletically...I have "LEARNED" to look like an athlete on the court/field and it has gotten me many compliments by evaluators as I moved up.