View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUmpire View Post
In PA most leagues use 6 regular season, and 7 for post season. We dont usually have any hiccups when going to 7. Every playoff official has to go to a 7 man mechanics meeting prior to playoffs.

Having worked deep wing at the HS and College level. I dont want to belittle the position, but it is not the hardest of them to pick up if you apply a ounce of thought to it, and you are a good official to begin with.
I've seen a lot of deep wings not do the right things when "thrown in" at the college JV level. Proper ball rotation, keeping a proper cushion, knowing their responsibilities on spots, goal line, etc. Pylon plays. Communication and working well with short wings. Proper punt coverage and reverse mechanics.

I'd been working football for a long time and it took me a while to feel comfortable back there. Now if I'm not working R, I actually like it back there (although I'd rather be a B).

We work 5 in the regular season. Going from 6 to 7 *should* be trivial -- you already have two deep wings. Going from 5 to 7 is a whole different story. Throwing people back there with no experience? They will (trust me) try to step up and get spots instead of keeping the cushion and letting the short wing come downfield and do his job.