View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Barry,in "Rules" on your website,you may wanna take a look at "M".It says that a coach may call a timeout if the ball is in his team's possession.That's wrong-should be "player's possession".Gotta be holding or dribbling to be granted the TO.
NO! NO! NO! Coaches may never call a timeout. They may only request a timeout. Only the officials on the floor have the authority to call timeouts.

JR - you know how nit-picky (read: anal) I am about this.
Mark, I know you think you are being smart on this one, but if we are going to be nit-picky OR anal:

There is no definition in Rule 4 for "call", "request", or "grant". So we'll have to use the dictionary definitions. The interesting one is definition 1b for the word "call" at http://www.m-w.com: to make a request or demand

Rule 2-7-6 says that the officials' general duties include "Granting time-out." The word "grants" is also used in 5-8-3. 5-8-3 is "Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out..."

So I'd say that a player or head coach "calling" time-out is, by definition, a "request", and the officials' duties are to "grant" that time-out CALLED by the player or head coach.

Nothing further, your honor.