View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Baseball Perspective?

In baseball, we go by the saying "Don't take the sh!tty end of the stick". Unfortunately, I think the officials did exactly this for the following reasons:

1. I know football allows officials to "pick up" flags, however, the LAST play of the game is NOT the time that you want something like this to happen.

2. If your going to pick up the flag, please announce a brief explanation (during the game) as to why the flag was picked up - ESPECIALLY on a play of that magnatitude.

3. While the correct call MAY have been made???, since the official threw a flag on the play, I think there would have been A LOT less controversy if they would have just followed through and called at least SOME TYPE of infraction on this play (DPI, holding, etc.). This would have given the offense one more play, letting the players decide the outcome versus the officials

4. If the call could go either way, why give the benefit of the doubt to the defense on this play ... after all, they were the ones that caused this entire mess by "bear-hugging" the receiver???

5. "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ... its probably a duck". Most people (other officials, fans, media, etc.) watching that play during the game say thats pass interference ... somethimes it's better to call the expected rather than try to justify the improbable.

Just my thoughts from an experienced baseball umpire who has NEVER officiated a football game in my life

I'm sure people will pick a part some or all of my post but my OVERALL point is, "don't take the sh!tty end of the stick" if you don't have too