View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
It wasn't "clearly uncatchable" as Gerry Austin tried to claim. So the flag should have remained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agreed with Austin. Austin also indicated that the rule was specifically applicable because the pass was "intercepted or knocked down" short of the receiver's location.
Well the rule (NFL 8-5-3c) doesn't say "clearly uncatchable", it says "uncatchable". I agree with all the posters saying the flag should not have been thrown in the first place. However, the object is to get the call right and if, in the officials judgement, the ball was intercepted too far away from Gronk for the holding/pass interference to matter, then the flag should have been picked up.

Flags are picked up all the time. If there is defensive holding on a punt and a fair catch is signalled and caught, those flags are picked up. This parallels the situation last night, due to the interception and/or ball being batted down. If the ball is never intercepted or batted down and passes near Gronk at all, this penalty is easily enforced.

Edit: Also important to note that Mike Periera disagreed with the flag being picked up once thrown, however I think he does agree with the call on the field.

Last edited by AremRed; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 01:47pm.