View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I watched my first live D1 game of the year over the weekend. If NCAA officials call the entire season like that game, it is going to be an awful year to watch basketball. I am completely in favor of cleaning up hand checks, but this was unbelievable. They absolutely refused to call an offensive foul. One ball handler (Who was not airborne) ran over a defensive player who was camped in the lane, block was called. Several different times defenders would maintain position in the lane and stay vertical, while dribblers would initiate contact and jump into the defender, only to have the defender called for a block. Eventually both teams just started putting their heads down and driving to the basket because the defenders would just get out of the way in fear of being called for a foul if ANY contact occured. There were 63 fouls total, with 88 free throws being shot. 2.5 hours total with no overtime.

Did the NCAA tell officials to quit using judgment and just call a foul on the defense when any contact occurs? That's what it looked like to me.