Thread: Illegal?
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 17, 2013, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Usually this sort of thing requires a definitive rule or ruling in order to be illegal.
Wrong. I don't need an addendum to the unsporting conduct rule for every hair-brained, bush league, juvenile tactic that some coach comes us with.

Quote:
That's how it was, for instance, with feigning injury. It was legal because nobody said it was illegal until one day they did.
It was "legal" because the rules committee didn't foresee some coach using this as a way to teach his young men how to win.

Quote:
There are forms of football deception that one's intuition may say should be illegal but to my knowledge aren't. One is to disguise the identity of players by switching uniforms during a game; AFAIK that's legal if neither of them are disqualified, but it strikes me as contrary to the original intent of having the players have to wear numbered uniforms.

The only acceptable reason for a player to change uniform numbers during a game is because that particular jersey no longer meets the requirements set by rule. If that happens, the team should have the integrity to notify their opponents of the change. If that doesn't happen the officials should have the guts to penalize this tactic.

It's sad to see that there are more and more out there that have no problem looking at themselves in the mirror every day after employing these tactics.

Just as sad is the fact that there are folks willing to justify their actions.