View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...

First of all, I chose to try not to show them up and deal with it ona time out conversation until he yelled at me. That's where it got bad. It would have remained calm...trust me I've dealt with bad calls before and yet to be thrown out...however when a guy holding an umpire position trys to yell and show me up it ain't going to work. Second I did not say my team sucked as bad as the officials...quote something in my first post saying that and you've got me. I did say that there were things we could have done to win the game that didn't happen...a few errors.

"Hey blue, with less than 2 out and 1st base occupied, isn't the batter out after the third strike"
That was pretty close to my first line to him. Until a parent yelled out "Find it in the rule book" and the ump got it my face...

I talked to the offical between innings and I said "Look man I know this is a rough job. And I'm sure you are doing your best and we appreciate it. I realize you will muff some calls, but when you do could you try to fix things?" He appreciated my understanding and admitted that he could have fixed it...I think that is pretty respectful after the fact...but if he wants to yell and try to show me up then it aint goin over to well. A lot of umpires can handle a conversation over a call and let me know what they saw. You seem probably just like this guy...just screem and holler when you screw up a call and work your way around trying to fix it. You are probably one of those umpires who blames everything on everyone else and can't handle admitting you are wrong.

"Hey, by your own admission,your team sucked just as bad as the officials. Did you rant and rave about them?"
Yes, Sir. My team got an earful when they kept throwing the ball after they should have just thrown it to the pitcher. However I didn't feel this was the place to let you guys know how I got onto the players. I thought this is where I could find out if the umpire was required to call the batter out or if I should just tell my catcher to assume that since he caught it the guy is out...now before you jump all over me...could you think about the question at hand? I'm pretty over the game by now but this is something that's been bugging me as to what I tell my catcher. You are just like a lot of umpires...work your way around the question with BS.

Now, Thank you Rick you somewhat answered my questions.
With Question #2 then...If my catcher catches it just have him throw it back to the pitcher probably and that lets the ump know he caught it?

And then just to kinda follow up on the protest thing...here it costs $50...and it takes weeks to get it handled...it isn't woorth it and that's probably why it is designed that way.