View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...I thought I had seen the worse but these guys were bad.

Last night we were in a close game and these umpires really seemed to be working against me...I know better than that, but all the bad calls seemed to come our way. Even the other coach told me that one of his parents must of paid the guys to call a game like that.

Here is the situation that got me fired up...
R1 and R2 1 out, 2-2 count, stirke three hits the ground. BR takes off for first which sent a chain reaction for R1 and R2 to advance. My catcher holds the ball for a few seconds waiting for BR to be called out he is called safe at first. My catcher guns to 3rd to pick-off R2. They score two runs on error by F5. I come out call time and ask that the batter now on second should be out. He tells me bases must be loaded on a dropped third strike for him to be called out. I said no...you've got to be kidding. He gets really loud and tells me to show him in the rule book...he got way out of line for an umpire. I pulled out my OBR rule book start turning for rule 6. He then tells me to leave the field...I tihnk he is realizing his mistake. I show him the rule anyways and he still won't change it. Could he have fixed it?

Then next inning it is a caught third strike with R3 and BR goes running to first. My catcher holds of R3 thinking BR is out...PU doesn't call him out. F2 throws to 1st and then PU says "He's out". R3 scores...we complain that he should have called him out long before he did. He told us the catcher should know...based on previous events that game the catcher isn't sure he knows anything with this ump behind the plate. Isn't it his responsibility to let us know catch or no catch on strike 3?

And then the BU was that laziest guy out there...wouldn't move to make a call...missed three obvious outs at third base that even thier base coach grimaced from. We lost by 2 runs...2 runs that we should have stopped.

Trust me I know that we could have done more to win and it isn't all the umpires but it is really hard in a games like that to know that we could have won and there were so many missed obvious calls...The other coach has even offered to replay the game because he feels like he stole it from us...obviously this won't happen...league don't want to pay for it.

I guess my two questions are...what could he have done to fix that first call when he knew it was wrong...and shouldn't he declare "batter out" on dropped 3rd strike?