View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 12:13pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually what is has done is stagnate the development of young officials here on the Peninsula. We don't have any new officials hungry to get better. I got into officiating at 37, I'm 49 now. I'm old. I got pick up on an NCAA roster in 2008 at 44. Since then only 2 guys from the Peninsula have been hired to NCAA-Mens staffs and both of them were in the process of moving up north the summers they were hired. A 49 year-old official shouldn't be the newest NCAA official in area with this much basketball going on year around.

You may only care about yourself, who knows. I like seeing young guys (and ladies) get better, get "big games", and get hired in college conferences. The environment of HS officiating where I live has killed officials passions for the game.

Because when those are the only games being played at the time, you are either working them or sitting at home.

You were the first person to bring up "so called big games". Seems to be on your mind more than anybody else's.

I think your original post starts with the cream doesn't rise to the top around here. One implication of that statement is that qualified officials are being excluded from perceived big games. You followed up with talking about holiday tournament games and playoff games. Not sure about what goes on in PA, but where I come from those games are also perceived to be big games.