Thread: WS obstruction
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Since you didn't see it, I'll explain it to you. Craig slid, and helped take Middlebrooks legs out from under him. It wasn't a dive for the ball by Middlebrooks. He was reaching for the ball...............actually Craig used Middlebrooks as support to get up, and when trying to go home he barely caught his foot on Middlebrooks back..............get real. Maybe obstruction in your book, but I don't ever recall seeing a play like the one that took place being call obstruction.

Instead of agreeing with the status quo, I would like to hear your take of the play.

The only point I'm trying to make different is that Middlebrooks was on the ground because Craig help get him there. The slide was clean. I just saw two players doing what they were supposed to do.
Where did I say I haven't seen it? I saw it live and had OBS, and I still have OBS like everyone else except for you.

Why can't I agree with the "status quo"? I agreed with lawump and would type the exact thing he typed, but that wouldn't be a good use of my time since my thoughts are exactly the same.

Go watch the video that someone posted a few posts up. Pause it at about 1:39. Middlebrooks had just missed the ball and was falling to the ground, Craig's foot had just contacted third base, and their bodies had not touched each other yet. How then did Craig's slide cause Middlebrooks to be knocked down? Even IF they incidentally contacted each other, it doesn't absolve Middlebrooks from being guilty of OBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

Joyce screwed the pooch. Amazing how he had to have two other umpires, and Joe Torre holding a rule book at the interview session to explain things. Middlebrooks was making a play. If that puzzles Joyce, he needs to hang up his mask.
Now you're just trying to stir the pot. Do you not wonder why you're the only one arguing this way?

How was Middlebrooks making a play when the ball was rolling around in left field and he was on the ground? That would be difficult to tag a runner or touch a base with the ball 80 feet from you while lying on your chest. You are right in that Middlebrooks WAS making a play until the ball got by him into the outfield and he no longer could retire Craig. You don't get a chance to make a play and then be protected from being guilty of OBS for an extended period of time afterward. You're either making a play or you're not, and by rule he was not when the OBS happened.

What level(s) of baseball do you work?

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Nov 04, 2013 at 01:18am.