Thread: WS obstruction
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 03, 2013, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
So you're saying Middlebrooks wasn't making a play. I believe Middlebrooks would have caught the throw if not for the contact made by Craig. I've seen plays like this several times, and not once was an obstruction call made. Craig even used Middlebrooks as support to get up.
The rule book covers this exact play - a fielder who doesn't catch the ball is no longer making a play once the ball is past him. There are no qualifiers for 'catch the ball unless the offense does something'. As long as the play was not interference - and I *hope* you're not making the completely specious argument that Craig interfered - then the fielder either makes the play or gets out the way. Period.

Quote:
It's always like an echo chamber in here. If nobody supports my position, I can live with it............it wasn't obstruction after Craig knocked Middlebrooks to the ground. Kind of hard to do anything but be in the way.after that.
Again, tough. If you don't make the play, you have no right to be in the basepath, regardless (irregardless?) of reason. Again, no interference so no foul on Craig, so Middlebrooks can't be where he is. Kind of hard or not - he can't be there. Period.

Quote:
Jim Joyce bailed out the Cardinals. As least John Ferrell didn't stand out there, and argue like Mike Matheny did on the obvious non-transfer call.
An incorrect conclusion. Salty and Middlebrooks bailed out the Cardinals through their poor play and violation of the rules. The rest is....dare I say it...irrelevant.