Thread: WS obstruction
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
The only point I'm trying to make different is that Middlebrooks was on the ground because Craig help get him there. The slide was clean. I just saw two players doing what they were supposed to do.
Not completely a true statement. Middlebrook was on the ground because he dove for the ball AND incidental contact with Craig in what can be described as a clean slide.

I also saw "two players doing what they were supposed to do" however, as an official it is your job to interpret if what happened is in accordance with the rules and if, or if not, rule accordingly, again in conformance with the rules.

Incidental contact relevant to "two players doing what they were supposed to do" is not treated the same way within the rulebook. And although we may not like that, it is our job to know the differences and rule accordingly.

Did Middlebrook "continue" to lay on the ground purposely? Although he can't disappear, the rules suggest that he has to. Unlike a batter in the box who is allowed to complete what he is doing then is given time to disappear.

Trying to officiate to what you think is fair and in the rules is not always what is really in the rules. But those are the rules.