View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 11:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Why MLB does not do likewise on malicious hits at the plate is beyond explanation.
Probably because there hasn't been an outcry by hundreds of retired catchers that they need compensation due to the lingering effects of all those malicious hits they took during their playing days.

Buster Posey suffered a very serious injury due to a plate collision. I did a Google search to see if I could find anything from Posey asking for changes to the game to prevent this from happening again. Nothing.

Look, it's not that I want to keep plate collisions as part of the game. It's just one of those things that has been accepted through the game's history and, with rare exception, has never resulted in the kinds of injuries that warrant serious consideration for change. If change happens, I won't lose any sleep.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker