View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 24, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And who made them household names? The press and the fans. You don't hear or read of other umpires bringing up their names and saying Joyce and Welke should go down in infamy. But you just might hear them say Demuth opened up a huge Pandora's Box.

True. I look at it as Demuth opened a door to change that should have happened decades ago.

Yeah, they are age-old traditions and precedents. But unless the union decided that those traditions must change for the 2013 World Series, why now? Why not at the start of the post-season? Or the start of the 2013 regular season?

It's just the right thing to do, no matter when it happens. Yep, it should have happened at the beginning of the season......about 30 or 40 years ago.

Until real change is formally put into effect (e.g., the use of instant replay), you go with what is expected of your trade, no matter how old. If what Demuth did is considered correct by those who REALLY matter (and, to me, the press and fans don't matter here; it's the fellow umpires who matter), I would really like to know.

The fans always matter, and unfortunately, the press has the fans' ear, so they have to matter too. NASCAR learned that lesson the hard way. They stopped listening to the fans and kept listening to the officials, 43 very spoiled-rotten drivers, sponsors, and owners. Now the grandstands are about half empty at every single track. Trust me--there's nobody in MLB who is going to stand at a microphone and say "The call stands because the umpires come first.

You ridicule how every close play will now get reviewed. Well, guess what? That is now the standard. Heaven help the umpire of this crew who doesn't give in to the whines of the manager. Heck, I'm guessing that the expectation is for umpires to come running in like their NFL and NBA counterparts to "help" their partner get the call right even before the manager steps out of the dugout.
First, I never said that every play would be reviewed. Secondly, the NFL and NBA officials ignore the vast majority of the whining from the coaches. And, thirdly, I thought a baseball officiating crew was supposed to be a team. In reality, the entire crew is apparently a bunch of independent contractors who reign with complete autonomy over their little patch of the field. Demuth asked for help. If the umpires felt more comfortable in asking for help, the game would actually get stronger.

Bottom line--MLB umpires do not work as a team as I feel they should. As a result, we see these massive meltdown arguments, fights, suspensions, fines every single year. But it's apparently too late for that to change now--instant replay is coming.