View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I definitely did apologize to him after the quarter was over. I also told him that as a crew of officials that we have the obligation of getting the call right. So where the situation is now is that this official believes that I was wrong based on the rulebook because of the reason I gave to him which led to my willingness to approach him during the game.

I will change up my way of addressing these situations during the game when I'm working with a sensitive official, but I want to make sure that this official understands the rulebook that he is now using to prove me and my approach wrong, which evidently is an incorrect interpretation. He merely focused on one rule (2-6) and did not read the corresponding rules thereafter. He is trying to say that I as a partner am never allowed to question him ever.

I understand that we are to trust our partners, but there is also the concern of making sure the call is right, especially when it's obvious. Additionally, I want to be able to exhibit myself on principle rather than having to once again kowtow to an inexperienced official who is trying to veil a "gotcha" attempt over a situation where I thought we both put it past us.

Now I don't want to be condescending or be an ass by not assigning him anymore games. I want him to be able to take responsibility as I did during the game. But I'm not sure how to address this as it was pretty disappointing to have received such an email from him.