View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I only bring information that is definitive. If you only "thought" you saw it one way then, IMO, you should wait until after the game (or halftime) and ask your partner what he had on that play.
I understand where you're coming from and I did not give the whole story as the coach saw it too and he became infuriated at the call. So my willingness to approach my partner was an attempt to assuage the situation and I gave my partner an out by asking him whether the player gained possession with one hand before going into the backcourt where he caught it with two hands. edit: I did not overrule him.

Unfortunately, I'm now having to address the fallout of an official who believes that the partner has no right to confer with his partner about his call. And now that I have reviewed the rulebook, none of the referee duties actually list a judgment on the play which means that it's not one of the things that cannot be questioned as this official believes it to be.

But again, I'm for a tactful response where I'm not being condescending but at the same time not willing to compromise on the principle that as a crew our main goal is to help each other out to get the call right.

Last edited by Afrosheen; Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 01:47pm.