View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So? Let's see? Volleyball is not as physically demanding, but is just as mentally demanding, not more, just the same, as other sports, possibly including basketball? Basketball is both physically, and mentally, demanding? Doesn't that make basketball harder to officiate? Simple arithmetic addition. Are there sports that are not mentally demanding, but are very physically demanding?

Could it be because you did not play interscholastic, or intercollegiate, volleyball?

Note: I'm sure that every sport, including volleyball, is difficult to officiate, but some sports must be harder to officiate than others, they can't all be exactly the same? The hardest part of basketball for me is to see plays, both violations, and fouls, with "jiggling" eyeballs while on the move. We're not always on the move, but we are several times a game. I'm sure that there are sports harder than basketball to officiate. Baseball? Ice hockey? I've talked to about a half a dozen guys (certainly not a statistically valid group) who work both and say that volleyball is much easier than basketball, not necessarily easy, just easier.
What's your point, Billy?

All I was trying to point out is that VB appears to be an "easy" sport to work, mainly due to the lack of physical requirements. I freely admit that. I also agree that some sports are more difficult overall to officiate due to the requirements for officials of the specific sports. IMO, basketball is the most difficult to officiate due to the combination of physical and mental requirements.

Mentally, every sport I have attempted to officiate requires a high level of study of the rules and mechanics, understanding of the objectives of the game, and focus and concentration while you are actually officiating a contest. From a mental standpoint only, I can't say that one sport is more demanding than any other in my experience.

One of the reasons it took me a bit longer to get comfortable with VB was because I only did HS VB and only worked for the HS VB season in the fall, whereas with basketball and softball, I worked at those year round.