View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you familiar with the NHL review system? I feel theirs is the best of any sport.
Other than reviewing whether or not a goal was scored, what else do they review in the NHL? I'm willing to bet it's not that extensive a list.

Of course, my experience is based solely upon the occasional Caps game that I watch on local TV. But do they review calls of offsides, icing, catching-n-carrying the puck illegally, high-sticking, and other calls that do not necessarily result in penalties? Nope.

Yeah, they do have some sort of control room that reviews plays, and that's what MLB plans on using next season (if the expanded replay proposal passes muster). But the focus of the NHL system is on the goal, and not much else. So how is that system better than the NFLs and MLBs? Seems to me more mistakes are unreviewable in hockey than in other sports.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker