View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never question the calling official on this play if I "think" or "it looks like" the player didn't establish control. If there's even a .01% chance I saw it wrong, I'm not making any approach.

Wanting to "get the calls" right leads, eventually, to an official calling a 5 second throw in violation from 40 feet away because you don't think your partner is counting fast enough. Now, I have approached partners on BC calls in the past, but on both, the player gaining control didn't do so until he/she got to 30 feet into the BC. One was a pass out of the paint that was tipped by B in the lane and retrieved by A well into the BC. The other was a FC end line throw in that was tipped by A in the FC but retrieved by A almost at the other endline. On the first, I just let the T know the pass was tipped, he reversed his own call. On the second, I was working with a rookie and went up to see what she had seen. When she told me she saw it just as I did, I let her know the rule and we moved on correctly.

That said, if he still has a cob up his ass about the situation, I'd just write him off. Apologize (high road and all that) and move on. Block him if you want (I probably would) if he's that much of a dick about it.