View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

New officials are going to miss calls for 1-30 years. Their self esteem is going to be on shaky ground for a long time. I do not think it is wise to question a decision from that far away for several reason. It is not a game changer or a HS game where this could decide the game in the last 30 seconds. Only time I extend my area is on a blatant everyone in the gym knows you missed an elbow to the face kind of call. A violation is not one of those we have to get or extend my area.

You clearly embarrassed a rookie and made him feel bad. We should be aware enough to apologize and move on right there and then. I wouldnt have ever brought it up again because clearly he has zero interest in help from you.

Here is how I would have brought it up later. Steve it took me forever to memorize all the strange rules about backcourt. I have read articles with 1k words trying to help explain every possible scenario. I love to talk about these with referees and just wanted to ask some questions to help make sure I make good back court violation calls. Can I ask what you saw? Was his feet were when he received the ball. That is the trick to helping make great back court calls.

If he is unsure what he saw then you know he missed it and thats the life of a new ref. If he saw it and applied the rules incorrectly you say. Thats tricky. Mind if I send some case book references after I study it tonight?

As for how to respond to him now. I am sorry. My point was not to embarass you. I should have discussed it with you later. It is not a game changing play and I dont need to come over to you for it. You are new and I was trying to help and over stepped my bounds. It will not happen again.

We have all done something like this. You might re-evaluate when you are going to help a rookie. He might never get better because he gets so defensive.

I hope none of this sounds like I am harping on you. Just my two cents.

Whomever told me to read Verbal Judo. Thanks again. Really helped my life and my refereeing and I strongly suggest it to every referee, heck every person out there to help every part of their life and communication with others.