View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I started doing womens' adult fast pitch last year (ASA rules),the new season starts next week and I'm curious about something. The women seemed to be able to wear just about anything (multiple earrings, necklaces, etc.)without any ump saying anything. It was a couple of games into last years' season before I got a plate duty and by that time I was just following the example set by all the other umps. I always felt a little wierd letting a player with a 3 studded ear(yes I could see them through the helmet hole)and two necklaces stand at the plate but my partners said that's the way it was done in this league.
What's your feeling and do you have a limit? I'm coming off a Fed high school season where all visable jewelry was a no-no. ASA 3-6-F seems to leave it up to the ump. Opinions?
My only concern is jewelry which can do damage to another participant.

Many will not agree with this, but I am there to umpire a softball game, not babysit. If a parent or coach considers a piece of jewelry on their child or player, they need to take the responsibility entrusted to them by the Constitution of the United States or agreement under which they coach the team and have the jewelry removed.

"I'm coming off a Fed high school season where all visable jewelry was a no-no"

ALL jewelry in FED is a no-no, visible or not. The only exceptions are medical alert or religious jewelry. And they must be taped to the body/wrist.

And what has the Constitution to do with softball rules?

Bob