View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 04, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Those stating that you can't review when forward progress is stopped are not correct. It is true that if it is ruled on the field that forward progress is stopped, that cannot be overturned by review...

But FP is ruled routinely on review plays. Almost every single "Did he make the first down" review is a FP decision. And MANY fumble / no fumble decisions are FP decisions in the end (otherwise you could just hold him up in a pile, keep him off the ground and knock the ball out - and unless they could see it on the field, it would always be a fumble).
I was not aware of this. I learn something every day (I'm a BB board lurker). This leads me to a follow up question.

The White Hat announced the ruling on the field was "down by contact" which allowed for the review. With your above statement, I think you are saying that the review could result in a determination that forward progress had stopped prior to loss of possession.

However, the announced result of the review was that "the play stands as called." Well, as called was "down by contact." To me, such an announcement means that the review official did not find indisputable video evidence to overturn "down by contact." If the review official disagreed with "down by contact" but made a forward progress ruling, wouldn't that require more of an explanation than "the play stands as called?" Or do I have too high of expectations on post-review explanations?