View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
1) on a try, a successful kick is worth 2 points, and a "2-point conversion" is worth 1. (meant to encourage kicks, although on some fields they don't even have goalposts).
This is a common rule at that age, and I like it.

Quote:
2) "no blitz" rule... only defensive linemen in a 3-point stance can rush until the ball is handed off to a running back. (as if, with 2 officials, we're going to be looking for this).
Good (yet difficult to enforce) rule for little kids ... 7th grade? These kids are too old for such a rule.

Quote:
3) no rushing the punter
Also common at this age, and if coupled with a no K team players downfield before the kick rule, and a no fake punt rule - a decent rule for this age. If not coupled with both of those, you're asking for a mess.

Quote:
4) "overweight" rule... only players under ___ pounds can be backs and advance the ball; anyone over that weight must be a lineman. (Of course, they don't give us any way know who is overweight and who isn't).
Another good rule for youth (they usually designate their allowed runners with a circle sticker on the helmet around here). STUPID rule for 7th graders. Now you're not teaching what could be your best runners or fullbacks in high school how to run the ball.

Quote:
5) flat-out ignoring the numbering rules for Team A.
Extremely common at this age ... and 8th ... and 9th ... and occasionally even JV.

West Houston Mike