View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
What do you call when you get blocked out on a fair/foul call? Line drive down 1st base line. I line up to call it but batter/runner running in fair territory moves to running lane just as ball hits ground. Also, first basemen of course runs over to see if it's fair/foul as well.

I make "no" call cuz I simply cannot see it. Because I make "no" call it's assumed to be fair by defense and they attempt a play. Of course, I hear afterward it's foul.

I left it fair. Was I right?

By the way, there was no time to get anywhere but looking down the line from behind the plate.
First... you don't get blocked out. You should be a few steps up the line anyway, and you should anticipate when you see the runner coming in on you and take a step fair or foul. You can't tell us you didn't have time to get anywhere and also tell us that the batter-runner was moving toward the running lane - which is halfway up the line.

Second - if for some reason you are blocked, you use what you know to make the call. Whatever that may be.

One question ... what do you mean that you "hear afterward it's foul"? From whom? From partner? Fix it. From disgruntled coach or idiot fans? Ignore as you would any other nonsense from disgruntled coaches and fans.

West Houston Mike