Thread: This was a mess
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:55pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My first ejection there would've been McCann. How he didn't get run actually amazes me. He *started* the bench-clearer.
C'mon, you're kidding, right? Gomez started everything, from the moment he started jaw-jacking at McCann when he got in the box, gave Maholm the stare-down on his way to first base, mouthed off at Freeman as he rounded first, and then berated Maholm again rounding second all the way until McCann confronted him. Do you really fault McCann for not ignoring it?

I'm not defending what McCann did, and I agree he should've gotten run. But he never laid a hand on Gomez. He simply blocked the base path and stood his ground when Gomez approached him. Yeah, he had a few choice words for him, but I never saw a push or chest bump or any other physical contact. And it was obvious Gomez had no desire to go touch home. He was looking for a fight.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker