View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Plus, in all likelihood and fairness, the obstruction that was caused probably carried through the base; so, the BR was protected between 1st and 2nd base. It's similar to a 3rd baseman tripping the runner, causing him/her to go over 3rd base and then tagging the runner saying "she went beyond the base." Here, the effect of the obstruction continued beyond the spot of the initial obstruction.
I have made a call similar to this. Jr College game using NCAA rules.

R1 running to third, F5 obstructs R1, causing R1 to attempt an awkward slide to get around the obstructing fielder. R1 doesn't really slide, but kind of rolls over and past third base into foul territory near the coaches box. F5 receives the ball and tags R1 who is off of third base. I call a dead ball and award third base to R1. Explained the call to the defensive coach who accepted the explanation.

I had the same concern that the obstruction happened between second and third and the runner was tagged out past third base. But the obstruction is what caused the awkward slide and the runner to go past third base. I talked to my JC league assigner about the call and he agreed with it.