View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 03:06pm
Stirrer of the Pot

When is a Runner "Between" Bases?

I was going to respond to a question posted by tommyleo in the "interesting run down situation" discussion. But, alas, someone closed the thread.

Here's what tommyleo wrote:

Quote:
I'd still like your opinions on my theory presented earlier. Reyes clearly rolled just behind third base. At that point, isn't he considered to be no longer between third and home? If so, then hasn't Lawrie passed Reyes?
Given the actual location of Reyes--he's sitting on his butt in foul territory adjacent to third base--I don't consider that Lawrie is past him. The only way Lawrie could pass Reyes here is if he takes a step toward home off the bag.

Think of it this way: If Reyes beat the throw to third on a force play, and he slid past the bag and ended up in the same location he's in after this rundown, would you uphold a force play appeal? Probably not, because you would say he's beyond third base here. Well, he's also beyond third base when he ended up here in the rundown.

Now, if Reyes had gone past the bag down the left field line, then you might have an argument that Lawrie passed him, since he's now closer to home plate than Reyes. But that's not what happened.

MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker