View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
His left shoulder turned inward and to me, while he didn't show blatant intent to go on to 2nd he certainly made no point of showing me as a blue that he WASN'T going to 2nd.

At that point first baseman turned around and tagged him and I called him out on the tag
Called him out for what? Bad call.

Quote:
at which point I got some jaw from one of my fellow umpires who was not working the game, but observing. He told me (in front of both teams!) that I got the call wrong and that the runner should only be out if he showed intent on going to 2nd.
Worse. Way worse. No umpire should ever do this to another umpire. He's correct, of course, but calling you out, especially in front of teams, is worse than any bad call you could have made.

Quote:
I felt that as he turned his body inward that was intent enough for me. I pulled the player aside after the inning and told him (umps do this as it's a small league and we get alot of new players) that to avoid any doubt run straight thru the base and when you return, make sure you turn your body to the right and walk back to the base on the orange side of the base.
And worse than worse. 1) You've instilled a rule that is not correct in this kid's mind. 2) You've coached the kid - not your job, don't ever do this. If it's a learning league, and your input might help, tell the COACH, not the kid (and be 150% sure you are correct when you're doing this... you were not in this case!)

PS - for you to have an out on this play, the player must make an attempt to advance to second. Period. He doesn't have to turn right. He doesn't have to walk back to first (he can run). What you describe was not even close to enough.

West Houston Mike